The market of drones is expanding very quickly, there are many new manufacturers with a lot of models. So in this article we are going to see what are the best selling drones in the entry level – from 25 to 79$ – to help you choose what quadcopter better fits your needs and is the best drone for you and your budget. Note that these are drones designed for beginner and intermediate level pilots, if you are an expert you should look for $250+ drones with GPS and more functionalities.
Let’s see the main features drones could have, and briefly explain them:
- Camera: drones can feature a camera to record videos and photos. Usually cameras are 720p or 1080p. Even if your drone doesn’t have a built-in camera, you probably can install your own action cam, but first you need to check if the drone can carry this new weight.
- Fpv: FPV is an acronym meaning “First Person View”. “Flying FPV” is referring to piloting a model aircraft from a first person perspective onboard. This is accomplished by means of tiny video cameras and wireless RF links. The typical FPV drone consists of many components that must work well together to get the job done: drone, RC control, camera, wireless video transmitter to send the audio and video to the ground, receiver and monitor to display images that the camera sends.
- 6-axis gyro: A gyro is an electronic device that senses angular velocity. Vibration sensors are used to detect angular velocity from the Coriolis force applied to a vibrating element. They are also known as angular velocity sensors or rate sensors. Vibrations caused by external factors can be sensed by the gyro. It senses the vibrations then transmits the data to a CPU. The vibrations are converted into electric signals that can be read by the computer, which can correct the orientation or balance of the drone. This is also used in cameras for correcting shaky footage (electronic image stabilization) and also is how your quadcopter can counteract wind and other interference. So a quadcopter with 6-axis gyro is better stabilized and can correct the effects of the wind.
- Altitude hold: many copters can hold their altitude with no action of the pilot. This function is usually available in more expensive drones thanks to the GPS, but in some cheap model it is obtained with a air pressure sensor. It’s a essential feature for drones with cameras to obtain stable videos, and it makes much easier the flight for the pilot.
- Return to home: this feature allows the drone to go back to the point where it took off in case of lost radio signal, or when the pilot lose orientation and want the drone to go back automatically. It uses the GPS to find the exact position of taking off, so it’s usually available in more expensive drones, in cheaper drones sometimes it is obtained with a compass, but the result is way less precise, the drone just go back to the direction it came from (south, north, east, west), not to the exact point.
- Headless mode: When the headless mode is active and you take off with the drone pointing in the front, algorithms inside of the drone’s micro-controller ensure that any directional change is compensated. In other words, even when you turn your drone 90 degrees to the left, it’ll still go forward when you push the rudder forward (on a non-headless mode drone, this would make the drone go left). It’s usefull for video recording, you continue to go forward while rotating the drone left or right or even backward and shoot what is around the drone.
- Brushless motors: we’ll skip the explanation on how this motors work, we just say that they are controlled by a transistor, called ESC, and it leads to advantages against a brush motor: brushless motors are more efficient, there is no sparking and much less electrical noise, with the electromagnets on the stator they are very easy to cool, you can have a lot of electromagnets on the stator for more precise control, there’s a lot less maintenance, they are more durable and resistant.
Now that we explained the more common features, let’s see the best selling budget drones.
This is a short list of the best budget drones with camera in 2016. Do you have a different quadcopter that you think should be in this list? Write it the comments!